BSG: JOINING THE FLEET

I have been reading What Technology Wants and this quote made me think about the Cylons and I wrote "BSG" in the margins of the book.

“Researchers have discovered that DNA—the actual DNA found in the ubiquitous bacteria E. Coli in our own intestines—could be used to compute the answers to difficult mathematical problems, just like a computer. If DNA could be made into a working computer, and a working computer made to evolve like DNA, then there might be, or must be, a certain equivalency between the made and the born. Technology and life must share some fundamental essence.” Kevin Kelly, What Technology Wants 9-10

Battlestar Galactica has been on my radar for years, but since I spend so little in front of the TV, it took me a while to get to it. One of the things that has surprised me about this show is its appeal to various kinds of people. The politico and the hippie and the scifi geek and me--we all like it.

 

 At first, I wasn't impressed by the storyline. I loved Adm. Adama and President Roslin--Edward James Olmos and Mary McDonnell--from the start (and The Chief) but I found the Cylons and the war not very compelling. However, by the time we learn "Athena" (so I don't spoil it) is a Cylon, I'm hooked. I now use the word frack/frak unironically. The allegorical nature of the show blows me away. I'm an English professor--I'm supposed to notice allegory--but I can't dig my brain deep enough into the layers of story and allusion and analogy to follow it. The writers just keep adding to it. I'm at the end of Season 3 and Baltar is all of a sudden a proletariat hero. What?!?



I love Starbuck and I think it was genius to cast the character as female. Of course she's a rebel at first, and she moves on the edges of chaotic neutral and chaotic good as she evolves. (And that boxing scene with her and Lee was probably the best bit of TV I've seen in ages.) She is meant to be loved--by Lee and Sam and Adama and Roslin. But she is difficult and she's flawed and to love her is to suffer. I love that the writers let her fail and her evolution doesn't fall into the virgin/whore paradox (except for the baby farm plot!)



I love Lee, too. He grew on me over time. I love Sam. I love Chief. I miss Billy. I loved Dualla until the Billy/Lee thing, which isn't fair to her but oh well. I'm taking a bit of a break from it right now--visiting family and family visiting--but I can't wait to get back.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your name with your comment. Thank you!