Favorite Words

There are some who believe a love of words is the foundation for a love of literature. I'm not sure if that's true, but attention to words is how I live. There are many words I like and some I love and many more that fascinate. Usually, the words I love have an interesting sound. I'm not especially interested in spelling but prefer to say them in my head and aloud to enjoy their offerings.

One of the journaling assignments for my students this week was to make a list of their favorite words. Here are some of mine.

sluice
gusset
apres (fr.)
thick
balmy
brisk
grapple
tangle
marvel
froid (fr.)
psoas
nuit (fr.)
blanket
perhaps
meanwhile
duckling
hilarious
fascia
rush
wallow
carve
crave
hewn
mayhem
interstices
crush
willow
birch
branch
glean
beweep
ravel/unravel
ornery
cluck
clutch
cunt
Arcadian
Appalachian
keg
cask
tub
enjambment
mug
muck
swig
swagger
swank
jug
lovely
chutzpah
mange
ellipse
saucy
pierce
blunder
elegy
audacity
evocation
hallelujah
sort
dabble
filament
parch
slake
hive
thread
tinder
crux
grieve
sieve
alluvial
sleeve
estuary
azure
lumen
brush
mitten
fastidious
mess
crap
manna
stitch
jagged
moss
fetid
stew
viper
maw
fugue
frugal
pell mell
cusp
oxen
chert
copper
blunted
hollyhock
goulash
switch grass
swallow
diaspora
distemper
dampen
brevity
sepsis
throttle
croon
loon
awk
disambiguation
plucky
scold, as in "irksome scold"
cusp
swill
swive
flux
meanwhile

words I like the spelling of: mussel, bulb, mitten

What are your favorites on this fine Sunday morning?

1 comment:

Please leave your name with your comment. Thank you!